Letterboxing Stats for The Ws

Monday, March 1, 2010

Gadgets - Part One

I've been asked by a few folks what I like to have with me for exercising. I'm a bit of a gadget nut and I really like to track how far I go and how well I do.

The first thing I could not live without and will be down at REI or Dick's replacing when this one dies is my Garmin Forerunner 305. It's a bit outdated with the new ones that have come out since, but I LOVE this thing.

I will not go for a run or walk outdoors without this thing.

It tracks my mileage, my pace, my calorie burn (though not always the most accurate). I find I have become a little co-dependent on the thing, since I absolutley hate to not have it with me. I even took my laptop on vacation with me, just so I could down load my hikes, etc. to track my daily mileage. I don't think I could do a long race without it.

It comes with a heart rate monitor, but I don't use it. While I love gadgets, I'm not particulary techno savy, and it got me a little befuddled. And quite honestly, I have another heart rate monitor that I prefer. I also don't really train with a monitor, although I probably should. That will be another post.

I love the software that comes with the Garmin. I upload my runs and walks daily. I love all the info I get about pace, distance, speed, etc. I also really like to see that maps that show where I went. You can also upload your runs/walks/hikes to the Garmin website and see even more info.

I know this thing does way more thatn I utilize it for. I need to get some lessons on just how much it can do.

I will say that it has been very motivating in helping me with my weight loss and fitness goals.

0 comments:

Post a Comment